Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Project Share

Yesterday my day started with a 7:30 dentist appointment that I was not even scared of (that is for another blog and if you know me that is quite a miracle)............I am listening to NPR which I usually avoid that early in the morning because it is filled with heart wrenching news, but an amazing story came on about Project Share.

The story is about a poverty stricken family having to make quantity over quality choices in regard to nutrition. We have hungry kids, but why are they overweight? Because in a family of 5 the average food stamp allottment is $600 a month. A gallon of milk costs 3.69 (non organic) a 2 liter of orange soda costs 89 cents...........you do the math the mother says. HELL YA! I am on my soapbox!!! I am that mom that has to avoid choices like that because of subsidized bullshit! I have been that mom that has also been tisked at BECAUSE I have used my food stamps to buy organic groceries.....why how dare I ? Because I am poor I don't have the right to make healthy food choices? Ok, I will fill my kids up on HFCS and have them be obese so the doctor bills can even the savings out on these groceries. Does that sound ok? ............But this is what drives me. This story pulled out my soapbox for me and reminded me why I do this. I was hell ya'ing the radio as I sat in my car for a good five minutes before I went in.........

The food pantry is a whole other soapbox that I can go on and on about. Did you know most of the donations to a food pantry isn't sellable according to the FDA, but I guess they don't care if the poor eat it.............seriously?!?!?! Some of the food I have seen that comes off those shelves are science experiments! My favorite is the gelatinous fruit cup that could probably survive a nuclear war! Seriously?!?!?! It makes me feel claustrophobic thinking about having to eat one of those. I could feel it becoming a part of my being, like I was eating an alien life form to host. Ok..........that is kinda stupid, but seriously those things are disgusting!!!!!

We have fields upon fields owned by the evil empire mons@nto ( they might come after me and say they own my blog and my computer because I typed their name) that grow food to make our kids fat! Want to talk about government conspiracies? The supreme court ALLOWED COPYRIGHTING LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thousands upon thousands of acres that kill the god given life in the soil. Absolute death is what they copyrighted. The run off, the HFCS bullshit, the raping of the local farmer...............I could go on for days. I have had too much coffee this morning so I will go back to my original intention of this blog...........MY garden, and MY attempt to make a change in the local food pantry.................




On my way to the garden I realized my mp3 player was out of juice. Damn. That is my protective bubble while I am there. The entire drive there is just filled with thoughts of disappointment about what's happening here and why it's happening! Also reflecting on how I took off saturday morning when I DID have help coming, but I just couldn't stay because I was going to vomit (literally~ironically due to food poisoning~ and figuratively~because of my devastation of another tilling gone bad)I pull into the driveway to find someone been picking in my garden again..........

I step out of my car seriously wishing I was a smoker again. It would taste so good right now............I take a deep breathe and text Tom.........playing on the "too many chiefs" I text .......ok. it's time for a pow-wow. Please look up project share. There is tons of money out there for me but I need a tax id........something tom has known for mmmmmmmmmmmm, maybe FIVE MONTHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deep breathes in and out..............peaceful gardens kristi.............peaceful gardens! I see some of the beans need picked, but I am over them so I walk past. Peppers, peppers, and more peppers. Of course, the one thing no one is interested in anymore. I get to my tomatoes and basil. A bit upset since some of my tomatoes I was looking forward to picking are gone, but excited to bushes of basil!!!!! As I am squatting finally coming to peace I spot a real red ladybug!!!!! If only I had my camera! Exactly what I needed! ................Then the youth minister pulls up and gives me a shout. He sorta makes fun of me for taking off on saturday. Damn! Not in the mood dude, I was finally coming to peace............... But then as we start to talk I find out he knows nothing of this. Nothing of anything about the garden. There have been no announcements in church. Nothing in the bulletin. No conversations with elders of the church. WTH?!?!?!?!??!?!?! WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Tom said...................but..............he............WTH?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?! I am in total awe! I can't believe it. The youth minister asks why didn't I go to blah blah blah,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I was told Tom was my go to.............even kinda told I couldn't go to anyone but him.................WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!?!?!?!?!?!

The youth minister begs me not to give up after I explain I would finish the year but wasn't coming back...............wow. I can't even answer that right now.

1 comment:

  1. I too cought that NPR segment. Sad but so very true!

    Sorry Tom is such a chode! I say next year skip the church pantry and try for a woman & childrens shelter, which is your goal anyway, right?

    ReplyDelete